It all began as an informal competition between local neighbours. Back in the 1880s, the residents of Edmonton’s Rossdale Flats would gather together for informal races featuring their best saddle horses.
Over the decades, the formal rules of racing were slowly adopted and in 1900 the whole thing was moved to an official track at Northlands Park. That track remained mostly unchanged for 95 years, until it was upgraded in 1995 and again a decade later in 2005.
In its 113 years of operation, Northlands Park has served as one of Western Canada’s top racetracks and has—since 1957—been the official home of the Canadian Derby.